Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

DIY : Cactus Terrarium

I always love cactus since I was a child. But my cactus never live for more than 2 months and always ends up get rotten. After I looked up in Google, I finally know the reason why my cactus always die. It is because I water them every day. I was afraid that my cactus didn't get enough water. The truth is cactus need to be watered only once every month or water only when the soil is dry (check the humidity of your soil using your finger, if the soil stick, don't water the cactus yet). So, after have enough knowledge about cactus, I decided to plant a cactus terrarium. The cactus terrarium needs about 1 hour and the materials needed are inexpensive. Besides, don't worry if you are bad at gardening because this terrarium requires minimum maintenance. It is very easy peasy and you can try this at home.

Things needed:
  1. different types of cactus and succulents
  2. container with wide opening
  3. gravel (for drainage)
  4. sand
  5. soil
  6. small rocks (for decoration)

Instructions:
1. Lays about 1-inch layer of gravel at the bottom of the container. Gravel provides drainage for your terrarium as cactus only need little water.

2. Mix the sand with soil. The proportion is 1:1 (1 part of sand and 1 part of soil)

3. Put in the mix soil in the container. The layer of the mix soil should be about 2 - 3 inch.

4. Make holes using your fingers and place the plants into the soil. You can arrange your plants anyway you like.

5. Then, place the small rocks on the top layer. You can also add any garden ornaments such as large rocks. This is what your terrarium should look like from side view.

Reminder:
1. Remember to poke the soil using a small stick every 2 days to provide ventilation to the soil.
2. Provide your cactus at least 5 - 6 hours of direct sunlight daily. If it is placed indoor, place it beside the window.
3. Water only once every month or only when the soil is dry. Do not overwater your cactus.

3 comments:

  1. Salam Ani. I'm tagging u for sumthing that might not worth tagging, or sumthing u might interested. but since I dunno many bloggers, so I tag u. pardon me. juz ignore if u're not interested. If u are curious, check out my latest entry GiveAway Domain by KhaiZarien.com thanks~

    btw, I love all ur crochets and all whatever craft thingie u did. wish i hv the same talent too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, does the container need a hole for drainage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. mine doesnt need a hole.. but i read somewhere that cactus need good drainage..

    ReplyDelete